Home Renovations / Insurance Builders need

No matter what building work you’re having done, everyone wants their home improvements to go well with no “hiccups” along the way. If something goes wrong, insurance may be able to step in. That’s why as a homeowner, you’ll want to know that any tradesperson you have working for you, has the right cover in place.

Public liability insurance can cover legal and compensation costs if someone is hurt or killed, or their property is damaged a result of their work. For example a post-worker may trip over your builders tools and injure themselves. This cover is a legal requirement, but if your builder doesn’t have it – you should consider having this cover yourself.

Employers liability covers your builder if one of their employee’s is injured or killed whilst working on your home improvements. It is a legal requirements to have this insurance.

What happens if a storm damages a partial build that isn’t completed yet? Contract works insurance is designed to cover any works in progress that have been affected by certain scenarios listed on a policy.

A reputable builder should happily want to show you their certificates before you hire them. Always ensure you check how long the policies are valid for as your building work may take some time to complete.

It is essential that you let your home insurance provider know when you’re having work done so you can make sure the policy remains valid. It may be worth considering taking out accidental damage insurance and legal cover just in case there are any issues with the work completed.

Always ensure you are fully insured before beginning your renovation journey!